I get asked all the time how I do it all. Well first of all, I don’t! No one can do it all and do it well if they are being honest. I feel like that’s really important to know and realize. Don’t believe that someone has it all together because what they show on social media- most of the time that’s just their highlight reel. I hope in being transparent this will help at least one person!
Running a business from home while also being a full time mama isn’t as easy and glamorous as it may seem. When Beckett was a newborn through his first few months, I struggled with finding a balance between work and home life. I think like most things, trial and error got me to where I now feel like I have a good grasp on it. It’s not perfect and never will be. Here are 5 tips that have helped me and increase my productivity while balancing work and home life the best I can.
- Leave the house when you can to work! I have two days a week of childcare that I devote to my work days. I find when I’m home and trying to actually work on my business, it’s extremely easy to get distracted with the dishes in the sink or the laundry to be folded and put away. I bring my laptop and planner to a local coffee shop where I’m forced to focus on work and the tasks that need to be done.
- 2. Put your phone on do not disturb. Or put in in another room, put it on silent, etc. It’s easy to get distracted by scrolling mindlessly on Facebook or Instagram or continuously seeing notifications light up your phone. Just eliminate the distraction and pick it up only during the time when you take a break.
- 3. Block schedule. As my own boss, I am responsible for making deadlines and making myself tackle tasks to maintain my business as well as grow it. When I have a lot to do, I find it helpful to write down all of the things I need to accomplish. I decide how long I want to spend on each task, and then write it out and set a timer on my phone to dedicate to each task. It helps me have a structured work day!
- 4. Put on some music. Or listen to a podcast, whatever makes you motivated! I put headphones on and put on some music that makes me focus.
- 5. Don’t work all the time. This is a big one. And it’s been a learning curve for me. Before I had my baby, it was much easier for me to work from home whenever I wanted and work as long as I wanted. Now that I have a little family, they are and will always be my number one priority. When I am at home with them, I try not to work unless it’s absolutely necessary. (Usually I wait until after Beckett goes to bed if I have to do anything.) I try my hardest to be fully present wherever I am. When I’m with my family, I want to be with them. When I have work hours, I try my hardest to be fully engaged in the tasks at hand.
Just remember to give yourself grace. You will not accomplish every task you have listed every single day, but focus on the progress you’re making, not perfection- because that doesn’t exist. 🙂